OLBR's Student Life
The lives of students at Our Lady of Black Rock are enriched by the education they receive and the opportunities to join in on many activities and events. We are very blessed here to have a dedicated faculty who willingly offer to moderate the wide range of activities during and after school.
A typical day at Our Lady of Black Rock begins at 7:50 AM. Students may arrive any time after 7:30 AM and gather in the cafeteria. Breakfast is served from 7:30 AM - 8:00 AM. The school day ends promptly at 2:30 PM with prayer and announcements.
Every student takes art, music, physical education, health, library skills and technology. Students in grades 6 - 8 take Spanish. We also offer reading and math support for students who qualify through Title 1 Federal funds.
At our Lady of Black Rock, we offer students an opportunity to participate in extracurricular activities. We also have a very rich fine arts program that allows our children to explore their artistic side that ranges from art, to singing, choir, band, and instrumental instruction.
These activities include:
- Track and Field
- Football Clinic
- Eco Club - Grades 6 - 8 develop an awareness and importance of ecology
- Friendship Club - Grades 3 - 5 meet regularly with the principal during lunch to discuss ways to be a good friend, anti bullying activities and the use of role playing.
- Lunch Club - Girls in Grades 6 - 8 meet and chat over lunch on girl topics.
- Bell Choir - Grades 6 - 8 play at masses and school events.
- Music Ministry Outreach - Group of students who regularly go outside of school and provide music to nursing homes and at school masses. Bristol HOme and the St. Francis Residence at Villa Maria College are two places that the students sing at.
- Healthy Schools Initiative Task Force Team - Group of teachers, parents and students meet to monitor health and wellness issues within the school.
- Chess Club - Grades 2 - 3 learn to play and the strategies involved in the game of Chess and play against each other.
- Girl and Boy Scouts on site.
For those students who need after school care, we are blessed to have the Black Rock Boys and Girls Club located on site. They offer school homework assistance and activities for a nominal fee. There are special rates for families with multiple children.